Yes, you can easily just go out and buy yogurt from the store right? And in Singapore, it is just so very convenient. I am sure that within walking distance, there is a convenient store or some local supermarket which stocks yogurt. So why waste time and effort to make your own yogurt? I have to agree with you that it is so convenient to go and just buy some commercial yogurt from the store. For about 1 to 2 bucks, you eat the yogurt and then forget about it. The effort is just not worth it, you might say. Well, you know that I make yogurt at home. And you know that I actually enjoy making yogurt. I mean, isn’t it cool to see milk turn into yogurt? Just like turning apple juice into hard cider, it is very cool. And of course, you will enjoy the fruits of your labour. Furthermore, making yogurt is very easy. All you need is milk and some yogurt as a starter.
However, the main point of this post is to tell you guys the advantage of making your own yogurt. However, I would like to note that it is important to think yogurt as a food supplemental. Think of it as the butter on your toast. You should not eat yogurt as your main source of nutrients but as a supplement to your daily food intake. And you should eat all kinds of food moderately and that includes yogurt. That is probably the best advice I can give you.
If you have problems drinking milk due to lactose intolerance, you should try yogurt as the lactose have been partially digested by the yogurt cultures and you will find that the yogurt is easily consumed by your body while providing nearly all the nutrients in milk. I would advice you to try a small amount first. Or you can just make Soy yogurt which is just as tasty (or so I heard)! In Singapore, we can get Soya Milk very easily and cheaply.
1. For homemade yogurt, you get to choose what you put into your yogurt. Hey, that is why it is homemade. And most homemade yogurt are free from preservatives, artificial colourings and flavourings. Of course, if you DO want to add preservatives or artificial flavourings to your home made yogurt, be my guest. You can also add healthy sugar substitutes like honey or maple syrup to your yogurt. If you don’t like the taste of commercial yogurts, you can always make one that suits your taste. Furthermore, a 1kg of store bought yogurt will usually contain less actual yogurt than 1kg of home made yogurt due to the thickeners and additives.
2. Homemade yogurt is much fresher than those you find in the stores. And in Singapore, a lot of the yogurts in our stores are from overseas, which means that it could be days before they reach the shelf. Even made in Singapore yogurt, you will never know how long they have been in the shelves. If you make it yourself, you can be sure that the yogurt is the freshest you can ever find.
3. Fresh yogurt means that the live cultures in the yogurt are in abundance. One of the most important health benefits of yogurt comes from the live cultures in the yogurt which helps to maintain a good gut flora. The in word nowadays seems to be “probiotic” which means good bacteria and if you eat yogurt with live cultures, you are actually providing your body with such good bacteria. However, the longer the yogurt is left on the shelf, the less good bacteria remains in the yogurt. So if you have the freshest yogurt, you have the most good bacteria in the yogurt.
4. Cheaper mah. Buy 1 litre of milk (S$2) and make yogurt from that. All you need is a little yogurt to act as a starter. 1 litre of yogurt cost aboout S$6-S$7 in the stores. You save about S$4 per litre of yogurt. I am sure that you can find even cheaper sources of milk if you look hard enough, just make sure they are not tainted with melamine, okay? We won’t want to poison anybody.
5. Eating yogurt is good and healthy. They provide you with vitamins, proteins and minerals to make your body strong. If you have yogurt at home, you don’t need to go out to buy yogurt. More convenient that way. But of course, you DO have to make the yogurt first. And it is a good way to introduce your children to yogurt. Teach them how to make yogurt!
6. Easy mah. As mentioned earlier, it is very easy to make yogurt. You need milk and a batch of yogurt (with live cultures). And you will need a warm enough place to store the milk for it to ferment to yogurt.There are even varieties of yogurt cultures which do not require a warm environment to ferment, they ferment at room temperatures. But whatever it is, if you start to make your own yogurt, you will realize that it is nearly foolproof. And if you face problems, just get a yogurt maker. It needn’t be expensive. I got mine for S$30.60 and it comes with 2 sachets of yogurt mix to make 2 kg of yogurt!
7. Yogurt is very tasty. Why not make it often in your kitchen and enjoy yogurt everyday?
8. Girls will love you. I mean real men make their own yogurt instead of buying it from the stores. Hmmm….well, not exactly true but it is kind of nice if it were true.
Okay guys, that’s all I have on reasons why you should make your own yogurt. If you have a recipe or something you would like to share, please do not hesitate to leave me a comment.
If you would like to make some fresh yogurt, please visit this site for some step by step instructions: Homemade Yogurt.