Have you heard of this drink before? I only recently heard of this drink from my local brewing forum. It seems that it is very very popular in Malaysia. People are willing to pay hundreds of...
Have you heard of this drink before? I only recently heard of this drink from my local brewing forum. It seems that it is very very popular in Malaysia. People are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for 1 litre of such stuff. I mean, if they are not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on alcohol, but they are willing to pay that amount for some concentrated fruit juice, there must be something great about it. First of all, I am not sure what to make of this drink. Is it sort of a health drink? Or is it just another term for wine/mead? I have been reading up a on this subject on a number of websites, and most of which never mention anything about alcohol being produced. Either it is true and only enzymes are extracted and there is no alcohol, or this enzymes drink is actually wine or mead at the early stages. It is my opinion is that there should be alcohol in the drink.
These are the basic steps to make Enzymes drinks:-
- Thoroughly clean utensils and glass container (must have a tight seal)
- Ensure that the utensils are all dry and clean
- Peel and cut fruits into slices (commonly used fruits include Papaya, Dragonfruit, Pineapple and apple)
- Peel and cut lemon into slices
- Place one layer of sliced fruits and lemon in the glass container and add raw brown sugar
- Continue to add layers of sliced fruits and lemon with the brown sugar till the container is full
- Seal the glass container and keep it in a cool, dark place for 3 days
- Open up the container to let air escape
- Stir the container
- Let it rest in the container for 2 more weeks (however open up the container regularly to let air escape)
- After the 2 weeks are up, strain the liquid and store in an airtight container
And there you have it. Enzymes drink. I think the process is like extracting the liquid of the fruits due to the high concentration of the sugar and this draws out the enzymes from the fruits. However, it seems that everyone is forgetting that there are always wild yeast present in the environment. Especially there are wild yeast present in the skins of fruits, some of which will be transfered when cutting the fruits. So the yeast will definitely consume the sugars and this will produce alcohol. Yes, the time period is short and the amount of yeast will probably be rather small but since there should be some sort of fermentation going now. So, don’t be surprised to find that this enzymes drink taste like wine!
Anyway, for my next brew, I may be making some enzymes drinks. Well, I would like to take care of my health and these few days I have been feeling a little down. Perhaps it is due to work or stress, but somehow I feel extremely tired everyday. Even blogging doesn’t perk me up anymore.